MATERNITY FAQ'S + MODEL RELEASE
What to expect!
I decided to write a quick FAQ post to answer the most commonly asked questions.
I know that it is an important decision choosing a maternity photographer and many women will not have experienced a studio photo shoot or professional session before so will have lots of questions on how it works.
How many weeks is ideal for a pregnancy photography session?
Maternity sessions are typically done between 30 and 35 weeks. The timing is different for everyone and I recommend that you don’t wait too late because you will never know when the baby will actually come.
How soon should I schedule my session?
It’s never too early to schedule your maternity session. Sometimes I can accommodate last minute requests, but I recommend a 2-3 week notice. If you would like a weekend appointment it is important to book early as Saturdays book up well in advance.
Where is your studio located?
Pregnancy photography sessions can be held in my studio which is conveniently located in Fort Collins Colorado in Artisan Frame shop
1606 S Lemay Ave suit #103
Does time of the day matter when scheduling a studio pregnancy photo shoot?
In-studio maternity sessions are done with professional lighting equipment so the time of the day does not matter.
When shooting outdoors, it is best to do your session about an hour after sunrise or an hour before sunset. This is when the light is the softest and will give that gorgeous glow to your images.
Can my partner or my child be in the pictures?
Absolutely! The father of your child and siblings are welcome and encouraged to join.
How do I prepare for the session?
– Try not to wear tight underwear and clothing on the day of the session to prevent marks on your skin. Also be mindful of things like hairbands on your wrist!
– You may like to treat yourself to a manicure and pedicure a day or two in advance.
– Prepare your hair and make up before you get to the session.
– I recommend applying slightly more make-up than you would usually wear, accented cheek bones and plenty of mascara.
– Hair down always looks beautiful especially with movement from the fan. If you can, soft natural curls look incredible.
- Come relaxed and rested and fed!! This is a chance to spend some great time focusing on YOU! If you have your family joining you, have fun with it! Use this as a way to connect with each-other and build some beautiful memories!
-If we are shooting outside make sure to bring water, snacks, sunscreen and bug spray!
What should I wear for my pregnancy photo session?
My personal favorite maternity clothing is anything with movement and length. I love floral print or neutral colors. I have had a number of clients have lots of success with dresses from amazon! Some of the most popular clothing items are:
– Bandeau tops
– Form fitting dresses
– Flowy maxi dresses (my favorite)
– Statement necklaces
– Lacy/sheer robes
What should my family wear?
- Don't match, coordinate! Pick colors and patterns that compliment each other.
- Stay away from items with logos or bold patterns.
- be mindful of your shoes...some tennis shoes don't always photograph the best. Choose shoes that go with your outfit. Your feet will show in the photos!
- Don't be afraid to get dressy and accessorize!
Do I have to be nude?
Not at all. All of my maternity sessions are customized and tailored to the needs of each client. Some clients prefer clean and simple artistic nude photographs and wraps, while others prefer to wear less revealing outfits or to be fully clothed.